1. Happy Two Year Anniversary to SMALL! I can’t believe it’s ONLY been two years since SMALL came out - it’s been a busy time. I’m so proud of my debut and hope it keeps finding it’s new readers. Not getting a trade review but getting on the Bank Street Best Book list has sadly still not balanced out. SMALL is in less libraries after two years than my latest book out for one month. I hope that over time, librarians will connect the dots between my books and give SMALL a spot on their shelves.
2. Peanut & Moe Tour Recap I read indoors, outdoors, in cities, in the country, at stores, in schools, to babies, adults and every age in between. I saw old bookstore friends, made some new ones and wrapped up by treating myself to fried clams (gluten free, of course) at Woodmans. One of my last visits was at Copper Dog Books (formerly Cabot Street Books in Beverly, MA) which was very recently purchased by long-time booksellers Meg and Julie. They are the new generation of indie owners and could use your support. Check out their indiegogo, here. Many thanks to all the stores (and libraries!) who hosted me! You can get signed copies at many of the stores I visited, particularly my home store, Water Street Bookstore.
3. Office Space It’s been almost a year since I moved and gained a real office. I finally got around to hanging some special things and giving it more of a fully decorated feel. Especially after the chaos of the book tour, it was time to put things in order. I still need to rearrange and hang my ‘tiny art’ and have space for two more big inspiration pieces over my desk. I’m allowing myself a bit more time to fill in the gaps but I’m loving the feel of things for now.
4. Summer Reads I started the summer with some big objectives - finishing two book dummies and querying for a new agent. When I finished, I treated myself to a pile of new lovely books to read. I’ve gotten through most of these and plan on making a new to-read pile soon. I might be outpacing my kids with books this summer!
5. Back to School Giveaway! Last, but not least… I truly appreciate all the love and support I have received for my books these past few years. It really does take a village to survive as an author and illustrator! As a thank you, I am giving away a copy of NOW? NOT YET! - just leave a comment below and I’ll pick a winner on August 13th. If you are a teacher/librarian I will add in a stack of bookmarks and extra goodies, too!