1. Go big or... just go big. At some point in 2016 I told myself to not worry about the how and just say yes and think big to every project. So when I took on a 19" x 24" poster project for The Children's Museum of New Hampshire I suggested a whole city full of animals driving cars. Was I a little nervous about so many wheels and details? Yup. But I did it anyways. And I'm SO glad I did. I hope 2017 brings a few more chances for me to go big.
2. I am the OA Have you seen The OA on Netflix? OMG. Go. Now. It's beautiful, and unique, and mysterious, and dark, and strangely uplifting and... just do it.
3. Books! I'm not going to lie. My favorite Christmas gifts will ALWAYS be books. While I adore my new phone (Thanks, Kristian!) it's that new pile of books that makes me feel like a kid again. I burned through Big Little Lies in one weekend thinking the HBO show started that Sunday night. Oops! I'm halfway through Anna Kendrick's Scrappy Little Nobody and debating about juggling Elizabeth Gilbert's Big Magic.
4. Speaking of Posters... Russ Cox sent this packed with awesome poster before the holidays. Knowing a good thing when he sees it, my son snatched it for his room. Thankfully I can visit it whenever I want. ;) Thanks, Russ! You are missing out if you aren't following Russ on instagram, especially during Inktober.
5. You say you want a resolution, well, you know... Yes. It's 2017. I felt like so many people were ready to throw 2016 in the dumpster and while I TOTALLY get that and had similar low points, last year was like... amazing! I created art for my first two trade picture books. I ended the year by signing my contract for the next two books. I picked up several new clients who were just so so fun to work with. It was the kind of year I had been dreaming about for a very, very long time. I had little happy-weepy moments working at my desk thinking about what a long road it was to get there. 2016 also gave me two incredible, never-forget family vacations. So 2017 has a lot to live up to! I think it's on track to be a great year, but more on that next time. And I know it's actually "revolution". We might have some of that this year too, no?